Frequently Asked Questions
* If you have questions about the competition, questions that arise after reading the summary of the proposals for each site, you can contact us at the email email@example.com or through this form. We will answer you as soon as possible. We will also put at your disposal on this page the questions we receive, along with their answers, so that other participants can consult them. IMPORTANT: THIS IS AN ANONYMOUS FORUM. DO NOT REVEAL YOUR IDENTITY.
- General Questions
- Questions about Alzira
- Questions about Santa Cruz de la Palma
- Questions about Santiago de Compostela
- Questions about Guadix
- 1. What is the deadline for submitting the required documents? All the documents can be uploaded on the Competition website before
March 17,2020 at 5:00 pm (Madrid time). The registration platform will be enabled until then. You can also send any query taking into account this deadline.
In accordance with the Disposición adicional octava del Real Decreto-ley 17/2020 decree, of May 5, which approves measures to support the cultural sector in order to face the economic and social impact of the COVID-2019, the suspension of the deadline to submit proposals for the 2019-2020 EDITION OF THE RICHARD H. DRIEHAUS ARCHITECTURE COMPETITION is lifted.The new deadline for proposal submissions is May 25, 2020 at 23:59 (Madrid time).
- 2. Are there any visits organized to the site and buildings on which it is required to work? Yes, to those where there are buildings which can not be entered otherwise. Several dates are set to visit the sites of Guadix and Santiago de Compostela. These dates are published in the Calendar website.
- 3. Who should select the “economic operator” option to complete the ESPD? In this Competition all teams must fill this document out by selecting “economic operator”. Therefore, all data related to the company, if applicable, or the personal data of the team representative, should be provided.
- 4. How do I have to fill in the ESPD?
a) Visit: https://ec.europa.eu/tools/espd/filter?lang=en
b) Select “I am an economic operator”
c) Click on “Create response” and select your country
d) INFORMATION ABOUT THE PUBLICATION Ad number in OJS: 2020/S 008-014759
e) INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROCURER – Official name: Ministerio de Fomento
f) INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROCUREMENT PROCEDURE
– Type: procedimiento abierto/open procedure
– Title: Concurso de proyectos con intervención de jurado Richard H. Driehaus
– File reference number attributed: 201900000140
g) INFORMATION ABOUT THE ECONOMIC OPERATOR – – Fill personal or company data
– Mark if it is a micro, small or medium-sized enterprise or if,on the contrary, it is not registered as such
– In the next two questions, mark “NO”
– In question e, “YES” should be answered. If it is not a UTE, the next answer should be “NO”.
– Indicate the LOT (Municipality) to which it is presented.
– Parts B, C and D, do not proceedh)
– Next, it must be confirmed that none of the reasons for exclusion are incurred and that the participation requirements are met.
i) And finally download the file and sign it.
- 5. If I am a foreign architect, do I need to associate myself with a Spanish studio to participate? No, it is not necessary.
- 6. What is the maximum number of members of each team? Each team will have a maximum of 4 associate members, who will be considered authors of the project. In addition to this number, each team may have several collaborators, who are not considered coauthors of the project, but it is understood that they have contributed to its realization.
- 7. Can an architecture studio composed of five architects present themselves as the author of a project? Yes, an architecture studio can be presented as the author of a project (a single economic operator in the DEUC) instead of the architects presenting themselves individually. If, on the contrary, the contestants prefer to appear as authors in a personal way, they would have to limit their number to four, which is the maximum number of authors allowed by the competition terms and conditions. The fifth architect would have to appear only as a collaborator.
- 8. Will the proposals be built? The winning projects are intended to be built. And for that purpose, among other criteria, the proposals should meet a feasibility in both technical and economic terms. In any case, this competition cannot guarantee their final implementation, which will depend on the local administrations, to whose disposition the winning proposals will remain.
- 9. Are you going to provide us with more documentation of the three areas of action? No, all the available documentation is already on the website and can be downloaded by the contestants. There is no additional information.
- 10 – Regarding the budget, are there any set public prices? There are no official reference prices. In any case, only a very basic estimation of the main budget items is required.
- 11 – Is it necessary to have a civil liability insurance to submit a proposal to the competition? It is necessary only in the event of being selected as winner, plus being subsequently appointed to be contracted. However, with regard to the economic, financial and technical solvency required in section 4.1. of the Administrative Terms and Conditions, pursuant to art. 87 LCSP (Public Sector Procurement Act) economic and financial solvency during the Competition phase shall be accredited by a binding commitment to take out professional liability insurance to the sum of €100,000 in the event of winning the competition and being subsequently appointed to be contracted to draft the final project and to manage the building works, in accordance with section 9 of these terms and conditions.
- 12 – Is it necessary to submit a proposal for each lot, or can just one be selected? Each team can send an entry for the lot they prefer, or for more than one if they decide to do so and find it feasible. In this last case, they will have to register independently for each of the lots.
- 13 – The paper size of the promotional materials is not specified, should it have any particular size? The promotional images will be used to disseminate the winning proposals both on the web and the book that will be published on the awarded projects. A4 size would be enough. In case we need a larger size we will contact the winners.
- 14 – Is there a standard form to correctly fill in the binding commitment of liability insurance accreditation? There is no standard form. However, we copy below a guideline so that you can present the document correctly: Having knowledge of the call of the “RICHARD H. DRIEHAUS JURY-BASED DESIGN COMPETITION 2019-2020” organized by the Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda, through this: Mr./Ms ………………………………………………, with ID/Passport……………………… ………………… on behalf of …………………………………………………. (own or of the company to whom it represents) domiciled in ……………………………………… region of ……………, I undertake, in the event of winning the competition and being subsequently appointed to be contracted to draft the final project and to manage the building works, in accordance with section 9 of these terms and conditions, to take out professional liability insurance to the sum of €100,000. Signed electronically …………………
- 15 – Is there a standard form to correctly fill in the sworn statement listing the members of the technical team? There is no standard form. However, we copy below a guideline so that you can present the documents correctly: Team representative: Name + surname + nationality + academic degree + ID or passport 2nd Team Member: Name + surname + nationality + academic degree + ID or passport 3rd Team Member: Name + surname + nationality + academic degree + ID or passport 4th Team Member: Name + surname + nationality + academic degree + ID or passport The undersigned, by means of this document, sworn state that the above information is correct and that we constitute a technical team that presents a proposal for the Lot (indicate number) of the Richard H. Driehaus Architecture Competition 2019-20, with the name …… ——————— (Electronic signatures next to full name)
- 16 – Is there a standard form to correctly present the Consent for the dissemination of the works? A model for the Consent for the dissemination of the works is in the Appendix II to the Competition’s Terms and Conditions.
- 17 – Is it mandatory for the participation in the competition to be registered in the correspondent Architecture Institute and to be a freelancer or have a company? No, neither one nor the other is necessary to participate.
- 18. If there is an error in the drafting or submission of any personal documents, will we be notified to correct them? Yes, in case any of the documents presented are wrong and you are selected by the jury, there is a correction period before receiving the prizes.
- 19 – Should we keep within the estimated value of the possible later procurement of the service contract specified in section seven of the Competition’s Terms and Conditions? The data related to the possible subsequent procurement of the service contract are only a preliminary non-binding estimation of the possible public investment to be made within the set of possible financing required for the execution of the project. Therefore, in this respect, only the indications of the Technical Specifications must be followed to develop the proposals.
- 20 – Do the documents have to be electronically signed or can they be hand signed and scanned? The documents must be signed electronically.
- 21 – In which section of the document list does the Commitment to set up a Joint Venture (JV) (Appendix III) has to be uploaded? In Document type: “PERSONAL DOCUMENTS – ESPD”
- A1 – ¿?
- SCP1. Could you point out the specific location where it is planned to build the extension of the naval museum? The location of the new museum space is part of the design decissions. It is requested to locate it above the current plaza de San Fernando, preferably in the south-eastern side of the area of intervention, close to the current ravine and the wall of the Castillo de Santa Cruz, bearing in mind the layout regarding road traffic as it is known today may be completely reconfigured.
- SCP2 – Do the 1000 built sqm specified in the Technical Specifications refers only the permanent exhibition hall or all areas of public access of the new museum? *NOTICE* Those 1000 sqm are the dimensions of the whole set of public access areas. What is not defined and therefore left to the discretion of the participants are the specific dimensions of each of these areas, including permanent and temporary exhibition halls. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the contestants may increase or decrease this marked area if they consider it appropriate.
- S1. Are there any visits organized to the site of Santiago? Yes, several dates are set to visit the site of Guadix: – Saturday, 25 January 2020 – Friday, 31 January 2020 – Thursday, 13 February 2020 All the visit will be at 12:00pm. Please, if you plan to join, confirm your attendance through the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- S2. The Technical Specifications do not make it clear if the houses to be rehabilitated will be used by students or artists or if they can be mixed. They are for both and may be mixed if considered appropriate.
- S3 – Should the “flexibility” of the proposal be understood as the design of co-living models with shared kitchens, bathrooms and other spaces? It is a project decision to opt for co-living or more conventional housing models.
- S4 – Regarding plot B, intended for a new single-storey student’s residence, are the existing ruins listed? Could the ruined walls be incorporated into the new building? The ruins are not listed and can be incorporated into the new building.
- S5 – Could you provide photographs of the interior of the building located at the entrance of the Parque de Bonaval?
- S6 – On plot named “B” it is requested to design a building of about 200sqm. Is the area occupied by the existing ruins included within those 200sqm? Yes, the existing ruins in the lower part of the Rua Caramoniña are included in the “B” plot, Therefore, they are included.
- S7 – is it possible to propose new openings or punctual demolitions in the wall between Rua Caramoniña and Bonaval Park? Yes, it is possible
- S8 – We have detected some lag in the dimensions of the different section-elevations. *NOTICE* Yes, certain discrepancies in the heights of some section-elevations of the Santiago de Compostela Lot have been detected. The corrected plans have been published. Click here to download.
- S9 – In the specifications it is said that the new building of 200 m2 will have a height of one floor from the orchards level. Does this mean that at street level it could have two heights? Yes, it does.
- G1. Should we consider the restoration of the wall that encloses the citadel in the proposals? The restoration of the wall is not the object of this contest, but of other projects that are being managed by the town hall.
- G2. Should we propose a solution for the square that is at the confluence of Muralla and Amezcua streets? Yes, but proposing significant alterations in said confluence it is not considered a priority, unless their need is justified in accordance with the proposed project.
- G3. Are there any visits organized to the site and buildings of the former seminary and the citadel? Yes, several dates are set to visit the site of Guadix: Saturday, 25 January 2020 *Friday, 31 January 2020 Thursday, 13 February 2020 All the visit will be at 12:00pm. Please, if you plan to join, confirm your attendance through the email: email@example.com *Last Friday each month the city council organizes a guided tour to the excavations that are being carried out in the esplanade of the Alcazaba (independent of this competition). More information at the local tourist office (+34 958 662 804)
- G4. Regarding the exterior access located on the East side of the Citadel, which plots can be incorporated to the network of public space? The plots in which it’s possible to intervene are the ones in red in the image.
- G5. Can the width of the pedestrian street between La Iglesia de San Agustín and the degraded residential block be reduced, and part of its circulation capacity relocated elsewhere within the block? You cannot modify the block limits. You could open new public spaces within the existing block, but without changing the widths of the streets.